23.2.10

Why Texans freak out over frozen water

This morning when I woke up, it was sleeting. My brother (who was going to stay home sick) promptly got very excited and started yelling out the window "SNOW! SNOW!". He did not look sick anymore. The ride to school was similar to being dive-bombed with powdered sugar (or at least that's what I think it would be like). Needless to say, when the snow started accumulating over first period, the school freaked out. Kids were running around the halls, yelling and laughing. Multiple snowball fights were going on in the courtyard. Our principle came outside to tell us to stop, got hit with a snowball, and then scurried inside to avoid another pegging. Later in computer science, I was IMing my cousin who lives in Chicago. While my overly excited mood may be shared by my classmates, my cousin didn't see the novelty. I understand that this view is held by many across the USA.
The thing is, we don't get snow in Texas. Rarely we get ice, but ice isn't that impressive. You can get ice from your freezer. Snow, however, is magical. To someone who lives where 100+ degree days are not only normal but expected during the summer, something even close to resembling Narnia is amazing. While many people across the nation may think we're crazy for liking frozen water that blocks streets and makes getting up in the morning a pain, at least the Texans I've met never really outgrow the fascination.
The only downer to this day was the fact that we didn't get out early. Something about our budget...
But all in all, this has been a pretty fantastic day...until I have to walk home at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment